Monday, April 16, 2007

Political Moron

What the hell is wrong with me? Why is it that I’m completely incapable of writing politically delicate emails, when I fancy myself somewhat normal in most other social matters? Heck, by philosopher standards I’m downright gifted. I can schmooze like a motherfucker. (I’d be remiss if I didn’t admit that a big reason it’s so easy for me to make smalltalk with other philosophers is that I’m often the only woman in sight, and the boys like it when the girls are willing to give them the time of day. But whatev. It still counts.)

But despite my social chops in other arenas, for some reason I turn into an dribbling idiot anytime I have to write an email that requires even a modicum of political sensitivity. I have no idea what I’m doing. And I react to situations where the stakes are high by just freezing up completely.

The solution is to make the date proofread anything I send out. He’s a fucking pro. He’s got these tricks for flattering someone without making it sound like you’re flattering them that are absolutely amazing. I have no idea how he does it.

No comments: