Monday, April 30, 2007

And Them East Coast Killas Ought to Represent

Let me say a bit more about a point PGOAT made yesterday. I haven't been to the Central or the Pacific APAs, so I'm in no position to compare them to the Eastern, but PGOAT's implication that the Eastern sort of has shitty philosphy is dead on. I mean, I saw a couple of good talks at the Eastern last year, but for the most part everything sucked. Hard.

I was talking about this with a friend, because we were having a really hard time finding talks to go to, and we ended up asking one of our profs about it. The explanation she gave was pretty simple: "All the good philosophers are up in suites doing interviews."

So there it is. The job market makes for bad philosophy.

On a related note, I really need to get my shit together to go to the Central next year.

No comments: