Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nothing Left to Give, Nothing More in You

Lots to post about today, but a grading marathon here at PJMB HQ means that some of it'll have to wait. For now, let me follow up on yesterday's post. If the Professor's serious that I need a new writing sample for next year's market, I'm actually sort of fucked. Because I got nothing.

Okay, that's not exactly true. Let me explain.

You know how my work is so obscure that no one's ever heard of most of what I work on? Well, that's a problem. (I know, you're fucking shocked.) First, it means I had to send out two different writing samples last year. That's not unheard of, but it's not exactly common either. The Professor suggested I do it, since I was trying to spin my AOSs one way for some jobs and another way for others. You know how I picked which two papers to send? I sent the two most generally accessible papers I have. Now the Professor wants me to keep the one that's most accessible and replace the other one. But replace it with what? The only other papers I have are even less accessible. They're about crap that's so obscure that, like, eight guys have heard of it.

So, I don't got nothing. But all I got looks like nothing to most philosophers. Awesome.

No comments: